The US Bureau of Labor Statistics provides annual salaries and hourly wages for speech-language pathologists in the two largest cities and rural areas of South Dakota as of 2015:
Types of Health Care Jobs for SLPs in South Dakota
The South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation predicts that fourteen jobs for speech-language pathologists will become available each year on average between 2014 and 2024.
Home Health Services
With the exception of medical and diagnostic labs which only employed 90 people nationally, the top paying industry for speech-language pathologists in the country as of 2015 was home health care services according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. (BLS).
In partnership with Infogroup®, the US Department of Labor reported that South Dakota had 76 home health service providers that employed at least one speech-language pathologist as of August 2016.
Some of these healthcare entities are shown below:
- Aberdeen: Bethesda Community Services
- Beresford: State Home Care Service, Inc.
- Brookings: Homecare Services of South Dakota
- Dakota Dunes: SYNERGY Homecare
- De Smet: Good Samaritan Home Health
- Flandreau: Riverview Home Health
- Lemmon: West River Nurse Corps Home
- Madison: Home Care Service of South Dakota
- Mitchell: Helping Hands
- Mitchell: Home Instead Senior Care
- Mobridge: Homecare Services of South Dakota, Inc.
- Pierre: Avera@Home
- Rapid City: Interim Health Care
- Rapid City: Regional Home Care
- Sioux Falls: Alpha Sigma Health Group
- Sioux Falls: Comfort Keepers
- Sioux Falls: Good Samaritan Society
- Sioux Falls: Home Care Assistance
- Sioux Falls: Interim Health Care
- Sioux Falls: Seasoned Home Healthcare
- Sioux Falls: Sioux Falls Wellness Consulting
- Sioux Falls: SYNERGY Homecare
- Waubay: Homecare Services of South Dakota, Inc.
Skilled Nursing Facilities
SLPS employed in skilled nursing facilities earned the third highest average national salary according to the BLS. A number of such health care providers that employ speech-language pathologists operated in South Dakota as of August 2016:
- Nursing & Convalescent Homes—53
- Homes & Institutions—6
- Adult Care Facilities—1
- Convalescent Homes—1
A partial list includes:
- Aberdeen: Aberdeen Community Health Center
- Belle Fourche: Senior Living Center
- Brandon: Bethany Home
- Bridgewater: Diamond Care Center
- Bryant: Parkview Care Center
- Centerville: Good Samaritan–Centerville
- Chamberlain: Dakota Milestones, Inc.
- Custer: Custer Regional Senior Center
- Eureka: Avera Eureka Health Care Center
- Lemmon: Live Center, Inc.
- Flandreau: Riverview Assisted Care
- Milbank: St. William’s Care Center
- Mitchell: Avera Brady Health & Rehab
- Muron: Rediscovery Program
- Parkston: Avera Bormann Manor
- Parkston: Parkston Group Care Program
- Pierre: Avera Maryhouse Long Term Care
- Plankinton: Aurora Plains Academy
- Rapid City: Pleasant Hill Village
- Rapid City: Rapid City Community Health
- Sioux Falls: Select Specialty Hospital
- Sioux Falls: Silver Park Place
- Webster: Bethesda Home
- Winner: Winner Regional Nursing Home
- Yankton: Averaga Sacred Heart Majestic
Salaries for Speech-Language Pathologists in South Dakota
Experienced SLPs in the 75th percentile in South Dakota earned an average salary of $65,670 ($31.52 hourly) as of 2015 according to the state’s Department of Labor and Regulation. Speech-language pathologists earned $56,110 ($25.96) on average.