Experienced speech-language pathologists in Mississippi earned an average salary of $74,060 ($35.61 an hour) as of 2016 according to the state’s Department of Employment Security, while the overall statewide average SLP salary was $62,620 ($30.11 an hour) that year.
- Emerson College offers an online master’s in speech-language pathology with the same curriculum as its top-ranked* on-campus program. Students are prepared to pursue SLP certification in as few as 20 months. GRE Required.
*U.S. News & World Report, 2018
- NYU Steinhardt's online MS in Communicative Sciences and Disorders, Speech@NYU, offers a comprehensive curriculum that combines research and evidence-based clinical practice in a flexible online format. Speech@NYU prepares students across the country to become creative, collaborative, and effective speech-language pathologists. Students of this program will gain the experience needed to provide care to diverse populations across the life span. Request information.
- Baylor’s SLP master’s program online can be completed full time in 20 months or part time in 25 months. 100 percent of on-campus graduates pass the Praxis and become employed. Bachelor’s and GRE required.
The number of jobs for speech-language pathologists in Mississippi will increase by 18.7% between 2012 and 2022 according to the state’s Department of Employment Security. The rate of job growth should be even higher in two cities:
The level of growth in Mississippi should result in an average of 45 jobs a year becoming available in the state overall. One-third of these jobs will be in Jackson, which was home to more than 20% of the state’s licensed SLPs in 2016.
Salaries for Speech-Language Pathologists in Mississippi’s Major Cities
The salaries for speech-language pathologists were exceptionally high in Jackson. Shown below is the range of salaries from the average to the 70th percentile average (experienced) as published by the state’s Department of Employment Security in 2016:
- Annual: $59,440 – $68,370
- Hourly: $28.58 – $32.87
- Annual: $56,880 – $62,330
- Hourly: $27.35 – $29.97
- Annual: $69,190 – $80,670
- Hourly: $33.27 – $38.78
The Mississippi Department of Employment Security also provides salary data for speech-language pathologists in most of the state’s Workforce Investment Areas:
- Annual: $59,622 – $70,405
- Hourly: $28.66 – $33.85
Southcentral Mississippi Works:
- Annual: $67,269 – $78,439
- Hourly: $32.34 – $37.71
- Annual: $59,872 – $69,319
- Hourly: $28.78 – $33.33
Detailed Salary Analysis for Speech-Language Pathologists in Mississippi
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics provides a detailed salary analysis for speech-language pathologists in the major cities and rural areas of Mississippi as of 2015:
High Rates of Job Growth in a Satisfying Profession
Recent articles in major news magazines highlighted the high salaries and job satisfaction that speech-language pathologists enjoy. Forbes reported on the results of a survey published by PayScale.com. After querying more than 2 million workers, this firm ranked SLPs among the 25 most meaningful jobs with great salaries.
US News & World Report conducted another analysis that ranked speech-language pathology as the 19th best health care job..
While speech-language pathologists find employment in a number of industries ranging from schools to hospitals, private clinics are another source of jobs for these professionals. Mississippi is home to a number of specialized clinics that offer SLP services:
- Columbus: MUW Speech & Hearing Center
- Gulfport: Elisha’s Speech & Language Services
- Hattiesburg: Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic
- Jackson: Beyond Therapy Pediatric Group
- Jackson: Mississippi Speech Therapy
- Livingston: Helping Hands Therapy
- Starkville: Kids Therapy Spot
- Sumrall: Aultman Speech Therapy