Speech-language pathologists in Louisiana who earned salaries that fell within the top ten percent enjoyed an average income of $94,474 ($45.42 hourly) as of 2015 according to the state’s Workforce Commission. Overall, SLPs in the state earned an average salary of $63,414 ($30.49 hourly).
- Emerson College offers an online master’s in speech-language pathology with the same curriculum as its top-ranked* on-campus program. Students are prepared to pursue SLP certification in as few as 20 months. GRE Required.
*U.S. News & World Report, 2018
- NYU Steinhardt's online MS in Communicative Sciences and Disorders, Speech@NYU, offers a comprehensive curriculum that combines research and evidence-based clinical practice in a flexible online format. Speech@NYU prepares students across the country to become creative, collaborative, and effective speech-language pathologists. Students of this program will gain the experience needed to provide care to diverse populations across the life span. Request information.
- Baylor’s SLP master’s program online can be completed full time in 20 months or part time in 25 months. 100 percent of on-campus graduates pass the Praxis and become employed. Bachelor’s and GRE required.
The Louisiana Workforce Commission predicts that the number of jobs for speech-language pathologists in the state will increase by 14.5% between 2014 and 2024. Ninety jobs should become available in Louisiana each year on average during this period. Growth rates are expected to be even higher in these three regions:
- Lake Charles Region—18.8%
- New Orleans Region—15.4%
- Baton Rouge Region—15.0%
In addition to enjoying a rapid rate of job growth, the New Orleans and Baton Rouge Regions were home to nearly 50% of Louisiana’s 2,210 SLPs as of 2015.
Detailed Salary Analysis for Louisiana’s Speech-Language Pathologists
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics provides a detailed analysis of the salaries for speech-language pathologists practicing throughout Louisiana as of 2015:
Speech-Language Pathologist Salaries in Louisiana by Region
The values shown below are provided for comparative purposes. They represent the salary and hourly wage range (from the average to the 90th percentile average) for Louisiana’s SLPs as published by the Louisiana Workforce Commission in 2016:
- Annual: $72,774 – $114,379
- Hourly: $34.99 – $54.99
Baton Rouge Region:
- Annual: $64,645 – $100,776
- Hourly: $31.08 – $48.85
- Annual: $54,676 – $62,733
- Hourly: $26.29 – $30.16
- Annual: $57,561 – $77,771
- Hourly: $27.67 – $37.39
Lake Charles Region:
- Annual: $66,165 – $112,258
- Hourly: $31.79 – $53.97
- Annual: $64,972 – $91,562
- Hourly: $31.24 – $44.02
New Orleans Region:
- Annual: $63,464 – $89,170
- Hourly: $30.51 – $42.87
- Annual: $62,915 – $104,562
- Hourly: $30.25 – $50.27